Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

DIY Eggshell Sidewalk Chalk

Since it is the day after Easter, I thought it would be good to come up with a great use for all those egg shells!

The pin I found is here

Here are the instructions:

Items Needed:
6 Egg Shells (I would have more handy just in case!)
Flour
HOT Water
Food Coloring
Silicone bowls or mold

Directions:
Wash out your egg shells and let them dry COMPLETELY.  
If you do not, there is a little membrane in the egg and it makes it impossible to get your egg shells really fine.  I was not patient and had to peel the membrane out of many of the eggs!  
Crush all of your egg shells with a rolling pin (hint: stick some wax paper down so you don’t lose any precious crumbs!)

Mix together a paste of 1 teaspoon flour, 1 teaspoon HOT water and 3 drops of food coloring.  I just used a little silicone bowl and then used the same bowl as a mold for the chalk but you can do whatever is easiest for you

Add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of your crushed egg shells and mix together really well. 
Let dry overnight.  Half way through when the top layer feels dry, you will want to take the mixture out of the silicone bowl and turn it over so the bottom can dry.   And here are the results...
My opinion:  This took me about 90 minutes to make these.  It is hard to get the eggshells on ground down and to such a tiny size.  I did have to take membranes out of many eggs so if I didn’t do that, I still think these 3 tiny pieces of chalk would have taken 45 minutes to make.  AND - I am not sure how the pin worked so well in the picture.  I followed the instructions EXACTLY as the pin stated and still this chalk did not work AT ALL!

Going to the dollar store and buying 24 pieces of chalk would only cost $1 and take about 10 minutes, including the drive… Just Saying…
Photobucket

3 comments:

Dawn Longmore said...

Hey, Regarding the Sidewalk Chalk - I wonder if you tried grinding the egg shells in a bullet or blender to where they are more of a powder if it would work better. I think it would stick together better, plus it wouldn't take 45 minutes to grind them. Although, like you said the $1 store may be a better idea over all. LOL!!

Shyloh Belnap said...

I totally agree with you Dawn! I think there are many ways we coud grind the chalk to be smaller but I just did it exactly as the pin showed. I probably would have spent the time to grind it with a blender or something if I saw hope, but I just couldn't justify the effort when it is so inexpensive to buy heehee

Shyloh Belnap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.